We were able to bring RACF to its knees: our LOGON procedure included
a RAC LISTUSER to see which application the VM in question was allowed
to use, and react upon the result.  We also had an SVM to start and
stop groups of services machines: with the start of large groups, RACF
got overwhelmed....  Maybe you've got something similar?
(we solved the problem by keeping the user groups in a CMS file,
rebuilt every night from a RAC LISTUSER *)

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support