________________________________

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:18 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: TCPIP

Hi

I re-cycled my TCPIP stack and noticed the following message while it
was coming up:

DTCNET400W A denial-of-service attack has been detected; issue NETSTAT
DOS for more information.

The output from the NETSTAT DOS command was:

netstat dos

VM TCP/IP Netstat Level 530

Maximum Number of Half Open Connections: 258

Denial of service attacks:

                                                   Attacks   Elapsed
Attack

Attack   IP Address                               Detected      Time
Duration

-------- --------------------------------------- --------- ---------
---------

Smurf-IC 10.17.2.5                                     210   0:04:46
0:04:45

Does anyone know what this means and if it is a real problem? It looks
like the ATTACKS number is rising quickly.

Thank You,

Terry Martin

Lockheed Martin - Information Technology

z/OS & z/VM Systems - Performance and Tuning

Cell - 443 632-4191

Work - 410 786-0386

[EMAIL PROTECTED]