On Sunday, 07/13/2008 at 11:47 EDT, Chip Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The problem with Rexx code is that it is, in general, so transparently
clear
> that one rarely encounters more than the most desultory commentary.  For
this
> reason, clean logic, descriptive variable and routine names, and
explicit
> argument passing become far more important.  That (and the presence of
"Signal
> ON NOVALUE" at the top) are my primary indicia of a good Rexx
programmer.

A good software developer (Rexx or otherwise) will document his or her
objective (intent - what is this program is supposed to achieve), design
to achieve the objective (how it is supposed to work), and code
(implementation).  But you only document what isn't obvious to a person of
reasonable skill.  The more obvious you make your code, the fewer comments
will be required.

That is, there may be no need to document
   Call Process_Command_Parameters(parms)
as opposed to
   Call DoIt    /* process cmd parameters in global var PARMS */

Of course, there are no hard and fast rules (unless your organization has
them), so the extent to which you [need to] adopt good development
processes is a matter of good judgement and professionalism.