On Wednesday, 07/23/2008 at 11:24 EDT, "Schuh, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Actually, there is no BOT and there is no tape. The vendor chose to
> reply like a tape drive to the roll-call for reasons unknown to me.  I
> speculate that it is because tape units can be written to and read from
> in a successive operations. If that is the case, they could have chosen
> an old printer that allows one to read the print buffer. And they
> respond unconditionally to sense commands as though the device were at
> BOT.

Tapes are, IMO, the easiest kind of device to emulate.  It's a streaming
data programming model, with no annoying pre-defined data structures.
(Even though a modern drive has block numbers, those are "just" for fast
indexing.)