On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Steve Mitchell
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Measure it.  It is a function of CPU.
>
> Where might I find some guidance on how to accomplish that?  In Therory "I
> understand what you are expressing"  In Practice "I dont have much of a
> clue about how to go about it".

The ESACHNH screen in ESAMON shows the hipersockets counters. Every
unit of data takes one cycle, and there's a model dependent number of
cycles per second. So you can compute a utilization (except that we
have an issue with the hardware not showing all the counters). But I
have not yet seen data where that was an issue. The cost of the
virtual machine processing the data sent over hipersockets is normally
the limiting factor.

Reminds me of the customer who measured the OSA bandwidth by copying
the ISO image from one Linux machine to the other with "scp" (burning
his shared IFL by encrypting and decrypting the file).

--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software