On Jul 31, 2008, at 5:08 PM, Gary M. Dennis wrote:
z/VOS translates guest OS code during initial execution. Code fragment
storage, lookup, disposal and reuse for primary and sibling guests are
addressed in a patent application.  Suffice it to say that we don't
interpret or emulate massive amounts of x86 code for use 2-n.

Ah, the old ARDI Executor approach.

Well, probably not *exactly* if there's enough novel in there to patent, but, yeah, JIT instruction-stream-translation with caching of commonly-reused fragments was the way ARDI was emulating 68K Macs on Pentiums back in, oh, 1996 or so. That would (of course) be a better way to cut your overhead, because if you have a long sequence of s390x instructions mapped (nearly 1-to-1) to a long sequence of x86(_64?) instructions, then you only take the "wrapping the registers and shifting the arguments around" hit once per chunk, and a lot of x86 executable code is a) boilerplate and b) common in most executables produced by the same compiler, so this could actually be a very big win.

Does z/VOS do x86_64 or just 32-bit x86? Actually, can you list which x86 extensions are included in it? Or do I need to wait for release to find out.

Adam