David Boyes wrote:
There are already Java libraries to front-end Sun RPC, so that would be one way to go about it. You'd have to feed the RPC stubs to rpcgen to get a proper mapping for your system, but that's not unusual behavior for Sun RPC app interfaces.
The new SMAPI in 5.3 is not RPC based, it's just socket programming.

See, on OS/400 (i/OS) there is the formerly-inhouse-IBM-project-now-Open-Source called JTOpen which provides Java class objects to perform work on iSeries via host-resident TCP/IP service threads like the
SMAPI servers.

I'm just trying to ascertain that IBM is actually not providing an equivalent a Java class library for z/VM SMAPI ... that appears to be the case ... if it is indeed the case we are looking at writing such an open
source class library.

Then on top of that we can write some Awesome GUI Stuph for z/VM.

--
Jack J. Woehr            # "Self-delusion is
http://www.well.com/~jax #  half the battle!"