Thanks, Kris - that's an interesting idea.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Kris Buelens
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 4:25 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VM Read problem

And, if you insist on using the stack (no problem for me), change to
code to loop the number of lines stacked by EXECIO and not the number of
files you seem to know.  Between getting the number of files and the
EXECIO Q RDR, RDR files might be removed (a new VM READ follows) or an
extra file might arrive (and your exec leaves one stacked line behind.
So:
 "MAKEBUF"
 b4 = queued()
 BuffSize=(reader_files + 10)*81
 "EXECIO * CP (BUFFER' buffSize 'STRING Q RDR * ALL"

 Do queued() - B4
 End

In the buffer calculation, I add room for 9 extra files; multiply by
81 leaves room for the X15 CP uses to response separate lines.