On Wednesday, 08/27/2008 at 10:34 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have always thought that CP handles properly SPOOL and PAGE areas
starting on
> cylinder zero. It would be a shot on its own foot if CP would destroy
the VOLID
> and the allocation map. However, someone is stating that SPOOL and PAGE
MUST
> NOT be allocated on cylinder zero, I wonder if someone can positively
answer
> this question and point to any documentation that may exist about this.

Look in the archives of this listserver and you will find z/VM Development
stating that the volume label is safe from CP, even if cyl zero is
allocated as page or spool.

>From a system management point of view, however, and for your sanity's
sake, however, I suggest that cylinder zero SHOULD always be allocated as
PERM.  Adding one additional cylinder will not help the system in any
meaningful way and only serves to create controversy and risk.

So, "someone" is wrong from a technology perspective, but right in terms
of Best Practice.

BTW, CP will happily hand out cylinder 0 to a guest if it is marked as
T-disk.  Dumb, perhaps, but true.