From: Tom Duerbusch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 03 September 2008 19:02
Subject: Re: VTAPE from Virtual Software Systems

The disk based VTAPE systems are really neat, but are expensive compared
to a used IBM VTS tape based solution.  Obviously this is a new vs used
situation.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Law of Dinner Table Attendance

  Cats must attend all meals when anything good is served.

>>> Mike Walter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 9/3/2008 12:55 PM >>>
Without having ever run VTAPE here... perhaps you could better define
your
requirements?

Are you saying that you want to eliminate all tape drives?  If so, how
will you back up your DASD (upon which I believe that VTAPE writes its
virtual tapes)?  Unless you have mirrored DASD, with the mirror far
enough
away to constitute a D.R. site, you still need tape backup for D.R.

Even with mirrored D.R. DASD, if there is ever DASD corruption, the
mirroring code could just mirror the corruption  to the remote site.
Indeed, the DASD vendor's microcode could even be the cause of the
corruption.  Without tape backup, you may not be able to restore.

Another alternative is virtual tape libraries (IBM, SUN/STK, and more),
which write tape data for virtual tapes on DASD cache for fast I/O, then

migrate that cache to very high capacity tapes behind the scenes.  But
even that isn't perfect for D.R. if at least one copy of the tapes are
not
stored at the D.R. site.

Surely there are other variations on this theme to be considered.  But
in
most cases, you probably want to consider some external tapes for true
D.R.   Always plan for the worst, or that's what will require a resume
update.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Shiminsky, Gary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
09/03/2008 11:52 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
VTAPE from Virtual Software Systems

Hi,

We are looking for a virtual tape system as part of a project to replace
our ageing tape drives.

Does anybody have any experience with VTAPE from Virtual Software
Systems that they would like to share?

Gary

Gary L. Shiminsky

VM/VSE Senior Systems Programmer
Office of Information Technology
State of New Hampshire
27 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301
603-271-1509    Fax 603-271-1516

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if
this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately
alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including
any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the
contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited. All messages sent to and from this e-mail address
may be monitored as permitted by applicable law and regulations to
ensure compliance with our internal policies and to protect our
business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error
free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain
viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.
*******************************************************************If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify our Help Desk at
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] immediately. You should not copy or use
this email or attachment(s) for any purpose nor disclose their
contents to any other person. NATS computer systems may be
monitored and communications carried on them recorded, to secure
the effective operation of the system and for other lawful
purposes. Please note that neither NATS nor the sender accepts any
responsibility for viruses or any losses caused as a result of
viruses and it is your responsibility to scan or otherwise check
this email and any attachments. NATS means NATS (En Route) plc
(company number: 4129273), NATS (Services) Ltd (company number
4129270), NATSNAV Ltd (company number: 4164590) or NATS Ltd
(company number 3155567) or NATS Holdings Ltd (company number
4138218). All companies are registered in England and their
registered office is at 5th Floor, Brettenham House South,
Lancaster Place, London, WC2E 7EN.