Thanks Richard...

>>> Richard Troth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 9/10/2008 10:34 AM >>>
Nothing special for the Linux minidisks.
The distributor's installation tool should perform any additional formatting.
For example, if you install SuSE (SLES10), you will click the checkboxes for
the disks you want Linux to use and the installer program will magically make
everything right.

*** DETAILS ***

Be aware that high level formatting and low level formatting are separate
functions in the Unix world.  Low level formatting (eg: blocking the disk at
4K) is handled by the 'dasdfmt' command.  High level formatting is handled by
'mkfs' or specifically 'mke2fs'.  Once you have Linux installed there are a lot
of options open to you!

CMS FORMAT does both: it blocks the disk and then slaps an EDF filesystem into
those blocks.  Truth is that you can CMS FORMAT a minidisk and Linux will use
it without the 'dasdfmt' step.  (Still needs the 'mke2fs' part, blowing away
EDF and laying down EXT2 or EXT3.)  But I am leaving out important details and
my note to this point would tick off some of the German IBMers who support
Linux.

Mainframe Linux lately uses "CDL" for the low level format, "Compatible Disk
Layout".  That is "compatible" with z/OS where the first track has a valid z/OS
label.  It breaks that lovely and elegant CMS FORMAT layout with pure 4K blocks
(or whatever blocksize you choose).  If you are not sharing Linux disks with
z/OS, CDL buys you nothing.  But it is the default and it is what SuSE and
RedHat will assume that you want.

-- R; <><