On Thursday, 09/11/2008 at 04:38 EDT, David Kreuter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Alan and Chuckie won't like  it but yes you can share an OSA OSD chpid
on two
> or more lpars.  You can  (sorry Chuckie) even use the same device
triplet in
> multiple LPARs. You can  create quite a nice architecture with this.

Chuckie doesn't care if you share an OSA port.  But that's because he's a
rather quixotic individual, the result of being abducted by aliens at a
young age.  Alan, however, has only your best interests at heart.  :-)

I recommend against OSA port sharing (there is no longer a 1:1
relationship between ports and chpids, btw) except when building a
clustered environment.  In that case you would have VSWITCH1 on SystemA
and VSWITCH1 on SystemB that go to the same network, and you administer
them as a single entity.  In this case it is shared by an expression of
network, security, and general systems management *policy* rather than
convenience.  If the OSA "short circuits" between LPARs, it's ok since all
of the sharing systems can be considered a single pseudo-host.  In this
case there is no desire or intent to filter or otherwise manage the data
flow between LPARs.

If you are building a multi-tier application environment, however, it is
important that you NOT share an OSA when the traffic moves from one
security domain (zone) to another and the receiving end is not protected
by a firewall or other intrusion prevention/detection system (IPS/IDS).
For example, let's say your z/VM system is hosting Websphere app servers
and they need to get data from DB2 in another LPAR.  Most security
organizations define those as being in separate zones.  I.e. "application
zone" and "data zone".  The packets will likely need to exit the box, go
through a firewall, and then re-enter the DB2 LPAR.  That would apply even
if the DB2 server ran in a virtual machine in the same z/VM LPAR.  If you
have the CPU capacity and the acquiescence of your network security folks,
you can use a virtual protection appliance.

Every rule (except this one?) has an exception, so you may be able
negotiate a shared OSA (or HiperSockets) if the target host has an
acceptable IPS.  Acceptable to whom, you ask?  Your network security
folks.

In the race to deploy as fast as possible, it's easy to overlook the
basics of network security, particularly if your security folks are not,
ahem, "fully informed" of the sharing characteristics of z.

> You cannot do link aggregation on a shared OSA.

True.  The LACP protocol requires that the controlling party at each end
of the link know about ALL packets flowing on the port group.  Where
available, the VSWITCH uses hardware enforcement of this rule.