On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Edward M Martin wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
>      I have a UNIX file that is not using x'0D0A' to delimit the file.
>
> It is a print file (I believe) that only uses x'0A'.
>      What is the site command to z/VM to allow the end of record to be
> only a x'0A'?
>
>      On the z/VSE side we have a RECLF command.
>
>      Thanks,
>
> Ed Martin
>
> Aultman Health Foundation
>
> 330-588-4723
>
> ext 40441

How is the file getting to z/VM? I would assume from some Windows system.
If so, then how is the file getting to the Windows system? The problem is
likely due to the original file being created on UNIX. UNIX delimits a
text line with a single x'0A' (LF). If the file is FTP'ed to Windows in
ASCII mode, then the ftp client/server will translate this line ending
from a single LF to a CRLF that Windows expects. If you FTP in BINary
mode, then the LF stays an LF. Note that FTP is not sftp. sftp does only
does BINary transfers.

Possible solutions:

1) on the UNIX system, before sending to Windows, use the "unix2dos"
command to change the LF to a CRLF.

2) on the Windows system, edit the file using Wordpad or WORD and save it
as a text file with the CRLF endings. If you have Cygwin on your Windows
machine, there is a "unix2dos" command which you can use.

===

I don't have a z/VM system. When this occurs on z/OS, the file ends up
with x'25' where the end of record should occur. What I can do at this
point is put the file to a z/OS UNIX file and issue the command:

tr '\45' '\25' <bad.file >good.file

This translates the LF (x'25' or octal 45) to a z/OS NEL (x'15' or octal
25). I can then copy the file from z/OS UNIX to a z/OS legacy dataset.

I don't know if the above is possible with z/VM or not.

--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: Ein Stein.

Maranatha!
John McKown