From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Adam Thornton
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 5:30 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Question

On Sep 29, 2008, at 3:54 PM, Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR) wrote:

Hi

Over the last month or so we have had CHECK SUM ERRORS on 3 of our
z/Linux hosts. This error stops the Linux host from coming back up after
a re-boot or log off. After working with REDHAT they found that there
was 2 bit over lay of what amounts to the VTOC which points to the
UUIDs. Each time this has happened it has been the same over lay.

The common thing on these hosts are that they all run Oracle 10g, REDHAT
REL4, and FDR/UPSTREAM. When this happens we must boot in RESCUE mode
and re-build the UUIDs (not sure of this process by Linux guy does
this).

I was just wondering if anyone has seen this type of issue. This is our
POC but if this does not get resolved we will be hard pressed to move
forward.

Those disks don't participate in some sort of Oracle clustering
arbitration scheme, do they?  That sort of very low level overwriting of
the disk is the sort of thing I'd expect to see in something was going
wrong with a cluster filesystem that used the platters to do
who's-got-the-rock negotiation.

Adam