John McKown wrote:
Is the following statement true? (I don't know)

That is what a supported VM means.

I.e. is there ever a case where an OS will run on some machine, but will not run under z/VM on that same machine?

Only if you are missing a PTF on VM. When a new machine is released sometimes VM will require a PTF to support the new machine.

Also, could there be a case when an OS, which is designed to run "native" (aka bare metal) will __NOT__ run on a particular machine, but will run
on that machine under z/VM? Please ignore any OS which is specifically
designed to run only under z/VM, such as CMS or the Solaris port that I've
read about.

On some machines some releases of VSE will only run under VM. Example - at one time VSE would not run native on a machine with more than 16 meg of storage. If you had a machine with more memory you could run VM on it and define virtual machines with 16 meg or less and run VSE in those machines. There may be other examples of VM hiding a feature of a machine from a guest OS so that it can run.

Just curious.

--
Stephen Frazier
Information Technology Unit