> It depends on the application. The fact that you can is no guarantee
> the application will.

Understood.

I mentioned IPGATE only as a way to prove the idea in case if Richard is
still in the planning stage only and doesn't have his own application ready
for testing yet. As he said that he has the control of the EXEC that creates
the sockets, I presume that he would know how those sockets are opened.
IPGATE does open an IUCV connection for each local resource, but those
connections count towards IPGATE server machine's MAXCONN number, not the
TCPIP machine's MAXCONN, which is what Richard is concerned about. IPGATE
does only one socket initialize, and then uses one additional socket for
each active <remote user/local resource> pair and one additional socket for
every defined remote resource, if I understand it correctly. I just thought
that this could be used as a test case.

Ivica