Did you authorize your userid to connect to the switch

Larry Davis

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Patrick Spinler
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 2:07 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Connecting and testing a new pair of OSAs and new vswitch

Hi:

We're moving our network connection from an old pair of fiber OSA's to a
new pair of copper OSA's.  I'm trying to simply bring up and test the
connections one at a time, first, before adding a permanent definition
to system config.

I'd like to plumb up a test vswitch, on one OSA only.  Attach this
vswitch to one of my testing linux guests (note: in *addition* to the
connection it has my existing, old vswitch), wire an IP up, and see that
it works.  Lather rinse and repeat for the other OSA, and thus verify
both work.

My problem is that my linux guest is still only showing one ethX device,
the one connected to my existing, old vswitch.

May I post the steps I followed, and see if one of you can tell me what
I'm doing wrong?

Starting with just the first OSA.  I have my info from the HMC:

Chpid 28
OSA 8C00-8C03
OSAD 8CFE

Sure enough, it's up in z/vm:

  query osa all
  (snip)
  OSA  8C00 ATTACHED TO DTCVSW1  8C00 DEVTYPE OSA       CHPID 28 OSD
  OSA  8C01 ATTACHED TO DTCVSW1  8C01 DEVTYPE OSA       CHPID 28 OSD
  OSA  8C02 ATTACHED TO DTCVSW1  8C02 DEVTYPE OSA       CHPID 28 OSD
  (snip)

So, I define a vswitch:

  define vswitch vswtest1 rdev 8c00 connect ethernet portname osasue3

and see that it looks okay:

  query vswitch vswtest1
  VSWITCH SYSTEM VSWTEST1 Type: VSWITCH Connected: 1  Maxconn: INFINITE
    PERSISTENT  RESTRICTED    ETHERNET                  Accounting: OFF
    VLAN Unaware
    MAC address: 02-00-00-00-00-2B
    State: Ready
    IPTimeout: 5         QueueStorage: 8
    Portname: OSASUE3    RDEV: 8C00 Controller: DTCVSW1  VDEV:  8C00

Now, it seems messy to modify my linux guest's directory for a network
connection which is just going to be immediately changed and go away and
be renamed a buttload of times, so I'm going to see if I can present my
new vswitch to a linux guest dynamically.  Of course, this may be a big
mistake. :-)

I create a new NIC for the guest I want to test on, which is logged in
(sorry, forgot to copy the response, but it returned result=0000)

  for sysdzl02 cmd define nic 8c00 type qdio devices 3

and coupled it to the new vswitch (ditto response, again result was=0000
though):

  for sysdzl02 cmd couple 8c00 to system vswtest1

Now, inside my linux guest, using vmcp, I can see the new NIC:

  $ sudo vmcp q v all
  (snippage)
  OSA  8C00 ON NIC  8C00  UNIT 000 SUBCHANNEL = 0012
       8C00 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID 01 OSD
       8C00 QDIO-ELIGIBLE       QIOASSIST-ELIGIBLE
  OSA  8C01 ON NIC  8C00  UNIT 001 SUBCHANNEL = 0013
       8C01 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID 01 OSD
       8C01 QDIO-ELIGIBLE       QIOASSIST-ELIGIBLE
  OSA  8C02 ON NIC  8C00  UNIT 002 SUBCHANNEL = 0014
       8C02 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID 01 OSD
       8C02 QDIO-ELIGIBLE       QIOASSIST-ELIGIBLE

but only one ethX device, 'cause the driver hasn't recognized it.  So, I
reboot the linux image, leaving the guest logged in, so the NIC def and
couple should still be valid.  But, at the end, I still only see my
original, eth0 device:

  $ ifconfig -a
  eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 02:00:00:00:00:10
    (snip)

  lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
    (snip)

  sit0      Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
    (snip)

and /sys/devices/qeth only shows my original NIC at 8200, but not the
new one at 8C00:

  $ ls /sys/devices/qeth/
  0.0.8200  uevent

This is all on SuSE 10.1:

  $ cat /etc/SuSE-release
  SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (s390x)
  VERSION = 10
  PATCHLEVEL = 1

So, can anyone clue me in on what I'm forgetting?

Thanks a ton!
- -- Pat