I would start with a non-programming solution: check your tape catalog

(you do have one, don't you?) for who wrote/owns which tapes.  From there

you can either know immediately what's on the tape (eg. if it is owned by

VMBACKUP) or request that the tape owner tell you what is on it.

Somewhere there should be a record of "if I want data XYA I need to mount

tape 123 and use process ABC to read it".  Without that your, tape librar
is not much use to start with.  So use that information to your advantage

to avoid mouting thousands of tapes.

Brian Nielsen