The fourth quarter meeting of the Chicago Area VM (and Linux) Enthusiasts will be held on Thursday, November 13, 2008.

A fourth session has been added to the agenda. The sequence of presentations has also changed. Please review the final agenda below.

----------

Meeting Location:

This quarter's meeting will be held at the Hewitt Associates 'East Campus' located at 100 Half Day Road, in Lincolnshire, IL. We will meet in the Lower Level Conference Room in Building 98.

If you have not attended a meeting at this location before, or you are not familiar with the area, <http://cavmen.home.comcast.net/hewittb99.html>Click here for additional information on directions, maps, lodging and dining.

----------

Attendance:

We would like to request a count of expected attendees by the Monday before the meeting, so that we may plan appropriately for arranging the facilities, and for refreshments and lunch, should one of the vendors wish to provide them. If you are planning to attend, PLEASE send an E-Mail by that date to <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED] with a subject line of "Meeting Attendance".

This is meant to be a facilities planning aid and should not be interpreted as a registration requirement. If you suddenly become available at the last minute, please feel free to attend even if you have not responded.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

----------

Final Meeting Agenda:

9:00 AM         z/VM Platform Update: Introducing z/VM 5.4

Advancing the Art of Server Virtualization.

This presentation will highlight the new functions available with z/VM V5.4, IBM's advanced server virtualization solution for IBM System z. z/VM V5.4, generally available since September 12, 2008, offers enhanced virtualization capabilities which include: dynamic memory upgrade, flexible specialty engine configuration support, and virtual server scalability enhancements. Find out how z/VM V5.4 can help clients further leverage their System z infrastructure for improved business results.

The speaker will be Rex Johnson of the IBM Corporation.

10:30 AM        Coffee Break

11:00 AM        Performance Management Solutions in the z/Linux Environment

IBM has greatly enhanced OMEGAMON's monitoring capability in the z/VM environment, in addition to providing full monitoring capability on z/Linux. In this session we will briefly discuss the current state of the product, touch on features added in the latest release, and provide a live demonstration of OMEGAMON. The demonstration will feature custom application views available using the Tivoli Enterprise Portal GUI, along with ability to automatically take action when problem conditions are found.

The speaker will be Wayne Bucek of the IBM Corporation.

12:30 PM        Lunch Break

1:30 PM         Administration and Vendor Announcements

1:45 PM         Linux on z Update

The speaker will present a brief update of recent developments in the Linux under z/VM area.

The speaker will be Khaylen Kingsley of the IBM Corporation.

2:00 PM         Red Hat System z Update

Red Hat will provide an update of the existing and planned RHEL exploitation of the System z hardware, provisioning & patch management. We will discuss current upstream development efforts, and time pending we will review the architecture of the Bank of New Zealand, which was the first production z10 in the Southern Hemisphere.

The speaker will be Shawn Wells of Red Hat.

3:15 PM         Coffee Break and Prize Drawing

3:30 PM         Installing a Novell SLES 10 Starter System without a Net(work)

Multiple customers wishing to install Linux on System z have been frustrated by their own network firewall security rules preventing access from a z/VM mainframe to a CD-drive from which to load a Linux installation CD. Other customers have been frustrated by difficulties coordinating access to a separate Linux or UNIX systems elsewhere on their site network. Still others fear the 'newness' of the Linux environment, not knowing how to answer installation questions.

This session will feature a live demonstration of a new Novell SLES 10 Starter System installation which requires nothing more than an existing z/VM system with a working 'FTPSERVE' server (supplied with z/VM), and a PC with internet access with which to download files from Novell.

The speaker will be Mike Walter of Hewitt Associates.

4:45 PM         Free-for-All

Members will attempt to answer any reasonable VM or hardware related questions. If you are having a problem and want to find out if others are experiencing it, or you are installing new hardware or software and want to find out what types of problems others have experienced, here is the place to find out.

Members are encouraged to bring ideas for future presentations and speakers to this meeting.

----------

Please check the WEB site for Map and Directions:
http://cavmen.home.comcast.net

In addition, you will also find extensive information available on dining and lodging in the Hewitt Associates area.

Additional information about the CAVMEN group, and other VM related items of interest are available on our web site.

There is no charge for admission to meetings.

Meeting attendance is open to anyone, and advance registration is not required.

I look forward to seeing all of you at the meeting.

Mark M. Suchecki
CAVMEN Coordinator

Voice:  (847) 518-0058
FAX:    (847) 518-0083