From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Kline, Martin
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:33 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: [IBMVM] Sharing PPRC devices with z/OS

I am installing z/VM for the first time in many years. We currently have
= a z/OS sysplex and want to put z/VM on some of the same DASD.

I followed the initial install, creating the res, page, spool and work =

volumes, then left the z/VM system up.

The next morning the storage admins complained that all of their PPRC
suspend and resume processing failed. Until z/VM was dropped, the PPRC =

functions failed.

The solution recommended by several people on IBM-MAIN was to mark all
of=

the PPRC devices 'notsupported' in z/VM.

The documentation indicates PPRC is fully supported by z/VM and its
guests, but if the support is that every PPRC device must be marked
'notsupported', I'd have to say that's a contradiction. Similarly,=

there is nothing in the documentation about having to do anything
special=

when sharing DASD - such as marking the devices 'notsupported' - before
=

starting z/VM.

Researching the archives, it appears some people are successfully using
=

PPRC with z/VM.

Is anyone sharing PPRC volumes between z/VM and z/OS systems, and if so,
=

what steps do I need to take?