It ought to. You are running with files created in 5.2 in the spool
system, I presume. The install instructions did not include an SPXTAPE
DUMP of all of the 5.2 spool and a load of the tapes on 5.4, did they?
It has been a long time since I have seen instructions like that,
probably the migration from HPO to XA. IBM is usually good about not
changing the format of spool without a really good reason for doing it.

Regards,
Richard Schuh