On Monday, 12/15/2008 at 12:02 EST, "Ian S. Worthington"
<ianworthing...@usa.net> wrote:

> I'm still at a bit of a loss to understand how to connect the simulated
OSA-E
> to the real CTC.

Lest I be caught unawares, let me confirm that by "OSA-E" you mean an
OSA-Express in QDIO mode (aka OSD chpid type).

> The only way I can find to define a simulated OSA-E is with the DEFINE
NIC
> TYPE QDIO command and, according to the manual, that can only be coupled
to a
> virtual LAN or vswitch, the later of which requires a physical OSA-E.
>
> Have I understood this correctly, or is there some other way to do this?

Yes, a virtual switch (DEFINE VSWITCH) requires access to a real OSA to
get the data onto the network.

There is CTC-to-OSA converter, so your stack with a CTC must connect (via
CTC) to another stack that has OSA or VSWITCH access.  You could convert
the CTC to a Guest LAN with a virtual NIC, but in that case, just share
the OSA (better, let both share a VSWITCH) and let both stacks go out
directly.  Skip the whole proxy ARP problem and save yourself days of
problem solving.