Sorry, Rob, but I would have to say that your idea of SPOOLCHN sounds to me like "bit twiddling" when someone would calculate that 2 LR instructions used a cpu cycle less than 1 SS instruction. CPU cycles are getting cheap. I don't doubt that there are installations that couldn't afford to use cycles, but SPOOLCHN will do a lot more than look for damaged spool files.

Jim