Check the syntax of the query command. I’m not sure but maybe the default is
the current logged on userid which may not have a 888 minidisk in the
directory.

Hans

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Shimon Lebowitz
Sent: January 11, 2009 3:27 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Q MDISK question

I just bumped into a situation with the Q MDISK command that I didn't
understand,

and am wondering what I might have done wrong.

q cplevel
Z/VM VERSION 5 RELEASE 3.0, SERVICE LEVEL 0703 (64-BIT)
GENERATED AT 01/05/09 12:22:23 UTC
IPL AT 01/05/09 18:53:09 UTC
READY;

q v 888
DASD 0888 3390 530W03 R/O         20 CYL ON DASD  017A SUBCHANNEL = 0027
READY;

q mdisk 888
TARGETID TDEV OWNERID  ODEV
MAINT    0888 VSEG     A15A
READY;

q mdisk 888 drct
HCPQMD040E DEVICE 0888 DOES NOT EXIST
READY(00040);

link vseg a15a 889 rr
READY;

q v 889
DASD 0889 3390 530W03 R/O         20 CYL ON DASD  017A SUBCHANNEL = 0026
READY;

q mdisk 889
TARGETID TDEV OWNERID  ODEV
MAINT    0889 VSEG     A15A
READY;

q mdisk 889 drct
HCPQMD040E DEVICE 0889 DOES NOT EXIST
READY(00040);

What could cause Q MDISK to tell me the device does not exist?

At first I thought maybe somehow the base mdisk had been deleted from

the directory, but a new link to it proves it is still there.

Any ideas what happened here?

Thanks,

Shimon