We turned the product box upside down and inside out looking for the RSU.
We got both CKD (3390) And FBA/SCSI install DVDs, but no RSU.

I don't suppose anyone could make an .ISO of the 5402RSU available for fast
download, could they??

Thanks
Mike
C. M. (Mike) Hammock
Sr. Technical Support
IBM System Z  Solutions
Mainline Information Systems
(404) 643-3258
mhamm...@mainline.com

             "Michael
             MacIsaac"
             <mike...@us.ibm.c                                          To
             om>                       "IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU"
             Sent by: The IBM          <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <ib...@listserv.u                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  Re: First install of 5.4:  2
                                       questions

             01/14/2009 09:53
             AM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <ib...@listserv.u
                 ARK.EDU>

Mike,

> 1. It seems to me that in the past the product package as shipped from
> IBM included the latest RSU on whatever media the system was ordered on
> (in our case, DVD).  But there was no RSU in any form in the shipment.

Really?  Are you *sure* that there weren't two DVDs in the case? As long as
I've been installing VM from DVD and writing about it (5.1-5.4), I have
always received two DVD discs. INSTDVD copies the majority of the first
DVD, then asks for the second and copies the first RSU to the MAINT 500
disk. In the Virtualization Cookbook, we wrote this step:

  "You are asked to place the system RSU in the drive. Insert the "z/VM
Stacked
  Recommended Service Upgrade 5401" DVD into the HMC DVD-ROM drive"

One time Somebody told me that the second DVD can be skipped if you plan to
put a later RSU on. Well that didn't work - I had to configure TCPIP to get
the next RSU over to MAINT 500.  Well things went downhill from there
because TCPIP was configured incorrectly by running on a system without the
RSU shipped with the media (I'm pretty sure that was 5.3). We ended up
reinstalling from scratch.  The lesson I took away from that exercise is to
always-always-always use both DVDs when installing VM via INSTDVD.

So if you don't have the second RSU disc, I'd recommend getting it, and
installing again. (but I don't speak for IBM).

Hope this helps.

"Mike MacIsaac" <mike...@us.ibm.com>   (845) 433-7061

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by
others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply
email and delete all copies of this message. To reply to our email
administrator directly, send an email to postmas...@csihome.com