Dave,

Normally, when there is little to no activity on a device, the response
time may appear slower than devices that are busy.  At least this is
what I have observed.

I am no expert but my assumption is that when there are vary few
I/O operations done, then the chances of the seeks being 'closer' to
each other is lower and hence the higher response time.  During
normal active periods, this is less true and you may see better
response time number.  I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong.

Aria.