I would suggest splitting it when you canĀ¹t meet your recovery time
objective for the server if it tanks completely. It depends completely on
how fast you can recover.

Consider also that there may be logical break points in the directory tree
that you could address using the Microsoft DFS extensions to CIFS (which is
supported by Samba). That would partially hide the seams between servers and
let you keep the size of an individual server managing a part of the
directory tree under the recovery objective time while still presenting the
illusion of a single server to clients. You might also consider using a
different back end data store, like OpenAFS or Lustre, which have CIFS
front-ends but have much better data management capabilities behind them.