Another method is to setup a service machine running PROP. Operators then
send a request to the service machine which runs the dump on behalf of the
operator. Console messages can be trapped and tape can be detached. Operator
continues working with userid without SPXTAPE messages except those you wish
them to see using PROP.

You can also check the tape volid, create a simply tape pool, rotate them to
request the old tapes in pool. I hate writing over production tapes by
mistake. Takes the pressure off operations.

* Detach tape drive after SPXTAPE dump completes
$SPXTAPE$COMPLETED          1  80  3                   SPBCKDET LGLOPR
* Remove SPXTAPE dump messages as required
\CON                        1   5

In my case the operator sees the following.

SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  PLEASE MOUNT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING TAPES             ,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  035139 035120 035121 035122 035123                  ,
                 :  06:02:03 TAPE 8401 ATTACHED TO SPBCKUP 0181 BY SYSOP,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  MOUNT SUCCESSFUL FOR VOLID 035139 THANK YOU!        ,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  SPBCKUP RC = 0                                      ,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  TAPE 8401 ATTACHED TO SPBCKUP 0181                  ,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  REWIND COMPLETE                                     ,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  SPXTAPE DUMP   INITIATED ON VDEV 0181               ,
-------------------  4  line(s) not displayed --------------------      ,
                 :  06:16:40 TAPE  8401 DETACHED SPBCKUP  0181 BY SPBCKU,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  SPOOL BACKUP COMPLETED AND TAPE DRIVE DETACHED.     ,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  HCPMSG045E REMPELH NOT LOGGED ON                    ,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  TIME STARTED:        06:02:30                       ,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  TIME ENDED:          06:16:39                       ,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  TAPE COUNT:               001                       ,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  FILES PROCESSED:       13,579                       ,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  SPOOL PAGES:        1,108,458                       ,
SPBCKUP  ADMIN   :  TAPE 0181 DETACHED                                  ,

Hans