From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Fred Schmidt
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 10:44 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: [IBMVM] Heads Up - z/OS 1.10 DFDSS DUMP's of z/VM and z/Linux
volumes fail silently

Just a heads-up to a problem we discovered today, which has the
potential to bite somebody. We went to restore some z/VM and z/Linux
DASD that had been backed up via z/OS 1.10 DFDSS and it failed with...

IOS000I 115B,20,CMD,E7,0E00,,E3D9D2F0,LNX025,FUSREST6, 778

800000005BFFFF0400FF001400000004C800732011000F04000040E200000000

... and

ADR348E (001)-IOWD (01), PERMANENT OUTPUT ERROR ON VOLUME LNX025
E3D9D2F0,FF,0E00,800000005BFFFF04,41

ADR324E (001)-TDFP (01), THE VOLUME/DATA SET SPECIFIED BY VOLSER LNX025
HAS BECOME UNUSABLE

z/OS APAR OA27531 describes the problem, which is with the DUMP of the
volume, not the RESTORE. The DUMP actually completes with RC=00, so
there is no indication of a problem with the backup until you try to
restore from it!

The current target fix date for the APAR is September.

A workaround is to run the DUMP from a z/OS system at 1.9 or earlier.
STEPLIB'ing to an APF-authorised SYS1.LINKLIB from an earlier release
also appears to work.

Regards,

Fred Schmidt

DCS DBE