I cross posted this to IBMVM and Linux on S390.

Noticing a pause during the installation of SLES10 SP2 to a guest
configured with a VSWITCH
with VLANs.  I have layer2 support set in the parm file and after IPLing
from the reader, the guest
is stuck at the MAC address prompt.  Hitting the enter key moves the guest
to the name server
prompt but that is set also in the parm file.  Is this normal??

SCSI subsystem initialized
NET: Registered protocol family 17
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
Starting hardware detection...
                                                                  Searching
for
info file...
qdio: loading QDIO base support version 2
qeth: loading qeth S/390 OSA-Express driver
 iucv: NETIUCV driver initialized
MAC address>

We just changed the VSWITCH to add VLANs and layer2, prior to that we did
not see this
behavior with the same parm file.  Here is how our VSWITCH access is
configured, should
the TCP/IP stack for VM be trunked?  In the list S10SP2BD and S10SP2IT are
linux guests.

xg1dtech:~# vmcp q vswitch vswitch1 acc
VSWITCH SYSTEM VSWITCH1 Type: VSWITCH Connected: 5    Maxconn: INFINITE
  PERSISTENT  RESTRICTED    ETHERNET                  Accounting: OFF
  VLAN Aware  Default VLAN: 0240    Default Porttype: Trunk   GVRP: Enabled
              Native  VLAN: 0001    VLAN Counters: OFF
  MAC address: 02-BD-43-00-00-01
  State: Ready
  IPTimeout: 5         QueueStorage: 8
    Authorized userids:
      SYSTEM   Porttype: Trunk  VLAN: 0240
      S10SP2BD Porttype: Access VLAN: 0240
      S10SP2IT Porttype: Access VLAN: 0240
      TCPIP    Porttype: Trunk  VLAN: 0139 0240

Regards,

Jihad K. Kawkabani
IT Systems Engineer Consultant
Voice: 440.395.0740