Thanks for the tip!
Turns out that  'openvm debug msg'  provided a little more info.
('openvm debug mount' and 'openvm debug all' did not change the result any.)

So with 'openvm debug msg', I now also get "DMSOVZ2134E Return code
157 and reason code 2114 (X'842') given on call to BPX1MNT".  Digging
through the 5.4 OE CSL reference, this RC 157 is just "ECMSERR".  The
reason code 2114 is slightly more explanative: "connection to file
pool has been severed".

Looks to me as though IPGATE gets part of the way through the
transaction and then terminates it.  (the transaction, not necessarily
itself)  I wish I knew how to drag more diagnostics out of IPGATE.

-- Rick;   <><

Q: Isn't filtering stupidity elitist?
A: Yes. Yes, it is. That's sort of the whole point.   -- Ortiz and Starr