VIEW for VMWare for z/VM implies directory management and security interface, as well as other z/VM functions. Probably zPRO is closer to the requirement for that.

Stephen Frazier wrote:
Dave Jones wrote:
Hi, Steve.

On July 22,2008, Gary Dennis of Mantissa Corp made the following statement on the VM list:

In Q1 2009 Mantissa will deliver a system that permits
unaltered Windows operating systems to run under z/VM.
Gary Dennis
Mantissa Corporation

I am guessing that the way that this might work is to run the Windows system 'headless' on z/VM, and then have some sort of thin client connect to the server. I believe that Microsoft has implemented a protocol for doing just this sort of thing.
Have a good one.
I expect that it will work somewhat like VMware VIEW. The user logs on to VIEW with a thin client and their desktop (running on a X86 VMware server) appears. VIEW keeps track of the users and which virtual machine belongs to which user. VIEW also creates new virtual machines for new users from a template (think of a virtual machine with no cpu or memory). VIEW is a well thought out front end for VMware. Now that Mantissa is running Windows on z/VM the obvious next step is VIEW for z/VM. :) Maybe Mantissa has already done it.