From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of David L. Craig
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 10:42 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Must be Friday: Mainframe USBs!

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 02:10:24PM -0400, Richard Troth wrote:

> ECKD (today) is an IBM hardware solution for a software problem.
> Originally, CKD exposed not only counts and keys (thus the acronym)
> but more significantly tracks and records.  NO ONE but MVS (and TPF)
> has a firm requirement for that.  What I mean is that CP and VSE can
> at least tolerate a lack of tracks and records.  (They can run from
> IPL to shutdown on things like SAN.)  More significantly, CMS, Linux,
> and Solaris (or UTS or AIX or USS) explicitly THROW AWAY the track
> and record semantics that our precious storage subsystems worked so
> hard to present on the channel.  They can't use it!  They just care
> about the data on the disk, not its geometry.

Are you implying VSE VSAM KSDS files do not utilize CKD
architecture and/or there is no net performance advantage
to that in this day and age?  Maybe I need to look at the
effort to migrate to 3370...

--

May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave Craig

"'So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe.'"

--from _Nightfall_  by Asimov/Silverberg