That seems to imply that the x-link part of CSE can't be on FCP attached
drives...
I thought I've read that z/VM can be installed entirely on FCP attached drives.
 But I didn't read that much in detail if there were functions that wouldn't
work in that world.  Perhaps a future release would address that issue?

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Kris Buelens <kris.buel...@gmail.com> 3/9/2009 1:15 PM >>>
Shall I plead a tiny bit for CKD?
- VSAM has the ability to store (replicate?) the lowest level index
set in front of the track where the data reside.  This to avoid seek,
the idea was that the higher level index blocks would be buffered in
storage.  But, who cares/who has time nowadays to get that last bit of
performance improvement.
- our own beloved VM has one function not working on FBA...  Please
guess....  The x-link part of CSE needs CKD.  The locking mechanism
doesn't need Reserve/Release.  With one, complex, I/O the XLINK SW is
able to test if a cylinder is free for e.g. a R/W LINK and if so, mark
it as being used.  Kind of TestAndSwap.  Impossible on FBA I've been
told.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support