It does depend on what the format of the file is.  A reader or punch
accepts cards, that is 80 bytes per record (RDR also handles console &
prt files, but that's a deviation to the architecture, 80 should it
be, no more no less.

What if you want to punch a file wide file (SENDFILE uses a PUCNH file
under the covers).
 - PUNCH WIDE FILE A  --> refused, erromessage as result
 - DISK DUMP WIDE FILE --> OK, DISK DUMP will reformat wide file in 80
byte records
                          only DISK LOAD knows how to reconstruct
 - SENDFILE (or better NETDATA SEND which is behind) will also
reformat the wide file
    in 80 byte records, understood by CMS and TSO's RECEIVE command (or better
    the RECEIVE EXEC in CMS, which uses NETDATA)
Naturally, also PIPE has methods to unravel spool files.  And not too
old copies of PEEK may use PIPE instead of NETDATA to unravel a RDR
file.
To see the raw spool data
 - CP¨CH RDR nnnn NOHOLD KEEP
 - PIPE READER FILE nnnn !> RAW DATA A
And what you you get: an 81 byte wide file: the first column is a
machine control character instructing your real the punch device what
to do (produce a card or skip it).

Summary
- a PRT or console: the nbr of records in the spool matches what PEEK
(FOR * will tell
- other files; it depends

--
Kris Buelens,