Here is part of some code I have to capture output from commands to put in the
file to browse.

If Substr(CMDINPUT,1,2) = 'SM' Then do
  'pipe cp q s |',               /* Q SET to get current MSG setting */
    'split string /,/ |',        /* Split at the comma               */
    'take 1 |',                  /* First line contains setting      */
    'var msg_setting'            /* Store in variable                */

  'CP SET MSG IUCV'              /* Force incoming messages to IUCV  */

  'pipe STARMSG 'CMDINPUT,       /* Issue command using STARMSG      */
    '| specs 17-* 1',            /* Drop the first 16 chars          */
    '| stem cap1.',              /* Ouput the data to the stem       */
    '| literal +3 | delay',      /* Delay for 3 seconds to get stuff */
    '| PIPESTOP'                 /* Force the pipe stage to end      */

  'CP SET' msg_setting           /* Reset msg to what it was         */

  'pipe stem cap1. | > CAP TEXT A'     /* Put the output in a file   */
  'browse CAP TEXT A'                  /* Browse the file            */
  exit RC                              /* Exit the routine           */
End

Paul Feller
AIT Mainframe Technical Support