Given

    A file pool consisting of
    5 VDEV files on 5 separate real devices
    2 cylinders  per device
    4096 block size

When:

    a block chain is given Diag x'250' (async) for either read or write
    such that 4 blocks are written to or read from each track within
    the 5 files.

Question(s):

    Does the 250 interface make any attempt to optimize I/O operations
    by constructing chained channel programs for single-track or
    consecutive-track multi-record writes/reads?

    If that is not the case, is such optimization achieved at a more basic
    level in z/VM real device I/O scheduling?

Curiosity killed the....

    In either of the above cases (that is if channel programs are chained
    based on intra-request I/O patterns), will either 250 or VM perform
    inter-request channel program chaining for multiple async requests
    targeting the same real device?

Thanks

Gary Dennis

0 ...living between the zeroes... 0