In any case, so not only paging: the model you'd use depends on the IO
rate.  If you need lots of space with low IO rates: bigger models don't
penalize you.  PAV will lower the observed IO rate.

CP's paging routines don't exploit PAV.  So, if you'd have  lots of stuff
slowly paged out and in, a model 27 would work well for paging too.  By
default though I'd recommend the smallest possible model for paging.

Side info: DB2/VM nor SFS can much benefit from PAV: they know where their
minidisks are located and won't attempt to launch a new IO when they have an
IO active one on a given pack.  If minidisks of other users are located on a
pack used by SFS/DB2, then CP may use PAV to launch a extra IOs while
SFS/DB2 have an active IO.  With other words:
 - when a pack is given to one DB2/SFS server, with fullpack mdisks or
multiple mdisks: PAV won't be used
 - when a pack is shared by multiple users (DBD, SFS, normal CMS), PAV can
help.
When DB2/SFS use dataspaces, CP's paging routines perform the IO, hence no
PAV either.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support