On Tuesday, 05/12/2009 at 04:34 EDT, Mark Wheeler <mwheele...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> These are the kind of questions I really hate to see, because many of us
know
> the answer (or multiple answers) and want to help. Actually, it's those
answers
> that I hate to see, because, to paraphrase, the root question is
basically "How
> do I hack into a z/VM system?" Posting the answers to the list doesn't
seem
> prudent, whereas a private response to Bob (you really are Bob, right?)
would
> be more appropriate. It helps Bob, who we all know and love, solve his
problem
> but doesn't compromise the integrity of everyone else's systems.

No answer given on this list will compromise a z/VM system that meets even
the most rudimentary security policy:
o All vendor-provided default passwords (USER and MDISK, in this case)
have been changed to non-trivial values
o All passwords must be stored in an encrypted form.

On a secure system, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of ANY user's password
in clear-text (it's an axiom in the word "secure".)

 Bob's predicament also illustrated why LOGON  BY is a Good Thing.