From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of David L. Craig
Sent: May 20, 2009 11:57 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM 5.4 VSAM question - PJBR

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:00:30AM -0400, David Boyes wrote:

> On 5/20/09 4:29 AM, "jose raul baron" <jba...@calculo-sa.es> wrote:
>
> > - Does VSAM still exist in z/VM 5.4 ?
>
> You can still use it if you have it, but no new licenses are available and
> the product has been pulled from marketing. It still works, and you use
the
> same installation instructions as you did on 4.4. It also has all the same
> limitations.
>
> > - Is it perhaps included in the z/VM 5.4 code (e.g. as TCPIP) ?
>
> No, it's under the same terms (and prices) as of old.

I must be missing something here.  Shops that had it before
IBM decided to drop support (because there weren't any problems
to resolve) will continue to get it as they upgrade VM, but
new shops cannot get it for love nor money?  Please, someone,
explain the rationale behind this.  What are new shops supposed
to use instead and are existing shops expected to migrate to
that at some point?

--

May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave Craig

"'So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe.'"

--from _Nightfall_  by Asimov/Silverberg