When mainframes just started getting into IP communications, one of the things
we were warned about is to filter out any unnecessary IP traffic that is not
for the same subnet that the mainframe was on.  The reason that I remember, is
that the IP stack looked at every packet to see if that packet was destined for
itself.  Hence an interrupt was generated for each packet sent on the LAN.

Ok, now we are on VSWITCH and Guest Lans.  Does that same problem exist within
the VSWITCH/Guest LANS?

i.e.  If I have multiple guests on the same internal LAN, and I FTP a file from
one guest to another (or for that matter, out to another platform), it would
seem to me that every guest on that VSWITCH/Guest LAN would wakeup to see if
that packet was something that it needed to be concerned with.

I don't have a performance monitor, so I don't see a problem <G>, but I wonder
if this could become a problem.

Right now, I have plenty of CPU.  I can afford to waste it.  In the future,
that might not be the case.  I'm wonder if I'm going down a scary path, that is
just going to get darker and darker, until....

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting
(Hope WAVV was fun and good.   Now, where are the online presentations!)