You surely can work with multiple systems programmers on z/VM, even
without SFS.  Just don't use MAINT all the time, use your own userid
and use LINK & ACCESS to get access to the minidisks you need at a
given time.  Give you own userids the same CP classes as MAINT has.
We worked like this at my former customer's installation for 20 years.
 Examples
- at the time we didn't have DIRMAINT yet, we wrote the DRMAC EXEC
  It LINKs to the place of USER DIRECT, R/W if possible, ACCESS the disk
  start DRM USER DIRECT, at the end DETACH the linked to minidisk
- We had our own VMLINK like exec: LNK to LINK and ACCESS, examples
   LNK MAINT (FD
   --> links to MAINT 191, starts FILELIST and DETACH at end
   LNK MAINT (MFD
   --> Same, but we links with mode MR
  LNK MAINT 193
  --> Links and accesses MAINT 193 and keep it
  LNK MAINT 293 555 M pw Z
  --> just like CP LINK, but it ACCESSes as Z

You just need to make sure you don't keep MDISKS linked R/W when not
needing them.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support