On Thursday, 06/11/2009 at 12:51 EDT, Michael Coffin
<michaelcof...@mccci.com> wrote:

> There is NO version of the RACF product that runs on Linux.  The  RACF
server
> must be licensed for and run on a supported platform (e.g. z/OS or
z/VM).  Is
> that correct?

Correct.

> If z/VM, it must be 5.4 or  higher?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  Each release of z/VM contains a RACF
feature.  z/VM 5.3 and 5.4 include LDAP, but z/VM 5.4 is where you want to
be.

> If  the RACF server runs on z/VM, are there any other licensed program
> products  that are co-requisite?

If you want to use the RACF panels instead of the RACF command line, you
need ISPF/VM.  If you want to customize RACF widgets that live in CP
(HCPRWA), or you want to modify some exits, you will need High-Level
Assembler (HLASM).  If you want to run the Common Criteria-certified
version of HCPRWA (documented in the Secure Configuration Guide), then you
can use the provided text deck and forego HLASM.  One of the big
differences in the default HCPRWA and the certified version is in how CP
treats a "not defined to RACF" error.  The default is to defer to CP.  The
Better answer is to fail the request, ensuring that ALL resources in a
protected class have an applicable profile defined for them.  This
enforces a Right and Proper resource deployment model.

> Is the same true for z/OS-based RACF  servers?

Yes, but z/OS includes ISPF and HLASM at no additional charge.

> Are there any licensed program products that must be installed on Linux?

No.

> I see reference to IBM Tivoli Directory Server, but it's unclear if this
runs
> on the Linux instances or the z/Series RACF hosts.

IBM Tivoli Directory Server (ITDS) is LDAP.  Linux LDAP PAM can
communicate with any LDAP server for authentication when you logon to a
Linux user (e.g. root).  If that LDAP server is running on z/OS or z/VM,
then it can use RACF to authenticate the *Linux* user.  I.e. you could
translate Linux user root to z/VM user MAINT if you wanted to, or you
could just enroll ROOT in RACF.

The LDAP server that runs on z/OS has the ITDS brand.  The LDAP server on
z/VM is a cleverly disguised z/OS ITDS server, but it does not have the
ITDS brand.