On Monday, 06/15/2009 at 02:38 EDT, "Gentry, Stephen"
<stephen.gen...@lafayettelife.com> wrote:
> I trying to determine under what condition(s) this message is generated:
>
> DTCSMT1312I 06/15/09 13:29:22 Delivered Note: 00008777 to . . . .
>
> This message is in the SMTP LOG.  What I?d like to know, does this
message
> occur after a successful email delivery to some other SMTP server?

That message shows up whenever the SMTP delivers a message to a local user
(receiving), transfers it to an RSCS gateway (receiving) or to a remote
MTA (sending).

There is a companion pair of messages that say where the e-mail came from
(local, RSCS, or MTA) and what SMTP learned.

DTCSMP1311I Received <something> from <somewhere|someone>
DTCSMP13xxI <TCP|BSMTP> <HELO|EHLO> domain <domain> <ip>
DTCSMP1312I Delivered <something> to <somewhere|someone>

> Does that email server send a message back to SMTP after accepting the
email
> sent by SMTP?

Within the SMTP protocol, the receiving SMTP acknowledges receipt of the
e-mail message for delivery.  The messages you see on the SMTP console are
the "warm fuzzy" messages that let you know the SMTP server is running and
doing useful things.

If you want to suppress them, you have to put NOLOG in SMTP CONFIG (but
don't do that).  End users are also given a "Delivered" message when SMTP
is able to deliver the message to the next hop (may or may not be final
destination).  The end-user messages are controlled by the
SuppressNotification statement in SMTP CONFIG.