From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Jim Bohnsack
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:34 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: VMBackup question

We have installed a Luminex virtual tape system.  My question isn't how
to make it work.  It seems to be doing fine.  The only problem and the
reason for my question is that I have the virtual tapes defined as 3490C

tapes.  My quandary is the fact that I have the virtual tapes defined as

the VMBackup Primary Resource Pool and and a 3494 robot with 3590
drives, located in a different location, as the VMBackup Copy Resource
Pool.  It works just fine for backups.

Restores, however, result in VMBackup picking a 3590 tape rather than
one of the 3490 tapes.  I know, or think I know, that I can get around
that using VMBackup Job Template files and specifying the input tape
volser and/or density.  That's a little awkward.  I want the restores to

be able to be done from the VMBackup screens so our admin. people can do

them.  The VMBackup System Prog. Ref says that the tapes for a restore
are chosen from a density preference list with the higher density tapes,

naturally, being chosen first.  That's logical, but not what I want.

Does anyone have any idea as to how to force VMBackup to use a different

list?  I have a question open the CA but I was hoping that someone has
faced the same question .

Jim

--
Jim Bohnsack