I Issued "vmfsetup zvm cp" followed by "filelist * * * (After 07/22/2009" and
found these:

5VMHCD40 SRVPROD  D1 V         49          3          1  7/23/2009 18:34:45
4OSASF40 SRVPROD  D1 V         82         15          1  7/23/2009 18:34:44
5VMCMS40 SRVPROD  D1 V         82         13          1  7/23/2009 18:34:44
5VMCPR40 SRVPROD  D1 V         82         76          2  7/23/2009 18:34:44
5VMGCS40 SRVPROD  D1 V         82          4          1  7/23/2009 18:34:44
5VMTCP40 SRVPROD  D1 V         82         39          1  7/23/2009 18:34:44

I assume these components received maintenance ( individually the members list
the PTFs applied) - correct?  How do I continue?  PUT2PROD?

Thank you,

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Mike Walter
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2009 5:23 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: RSU 0902

Here's one of my favorite often-overlooked commands:

   FILELIST  * * * (TODAY

I use it pretty much after every VMSES/E command to see what has changed
before releasing any disks.  (OK, not looking into EVERY file, but often
getting a sense for what and how many have changed).  And true, when
running the SERVICE command, many disks are accessed and released to
process the different components in the service package.  But my
home-grown FINDFILE EXEC can be used to search for all files on all LINKed
mdisks that would match FILELIST options (such as "TODAY").

You should be able to see what VMSES/E accomplished (or failed to
accomplish) by entering:
   FL   *   $MSGLOG*   *
Browse the recently updated files, watching carefully for errors in
anything to which you applied service.  The VMSES/E command 'VMFVIEW'
permits you to view the same files, and can be used to "separate the chaff
from the wheat".  But I like to see the whole story, especially if
anything seems to have gone wrong.

What you do then depends on what you observe in the MSGLOG files.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Wandschneider, Scott" <scott.wandschnei...@infocrossing.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
07/27/2009 02:53 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: RSU 0902

The original error was a return code 4, so I am wondering if I don't just
continue with PUT2PROD?  A service restart resulted in the following.  So
I am not sure where to go from here.

service restart
VMFSRV2760I SERVICE RESTART processing started
VMFSRV2305E File SERVICE $RESTART A was not found
VMFSRV2760I SERVICE processing completed unsuccessfully
<MAINT AT ZVMV5R40 > Ready(00028); T=0.46/0.51 15:49:28

Thank you,

Scott