Windows and AIX platforms need more memory so they can buffer data in
memory and avoid I/O.  In general, zLinux images should be trimmed smalle
to avoid buffering large amounts of data in guest memory and instead use

MDCACHE in XSTORE memory to avoid the I/O.  I'd call it an Apples to
Oranges comparison without having lots more details.  We don't run WAS or

Websphere, so I can't comment on if they are exceptions to the general

zLinux size trimming or not.

Brian Nielsen

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:03:33 -0400, Dean, David (I/S)
<david_d...@bcbst.com> wrote:

>Thank you, the problem however is exactly what you allude to, what size

do they REALLY need to be.  IBM is comparing WebSphere RAM needs between

AIX, Windows, and zLinux.  We have historical data that help us compare

AIX needs to Windows needs, but no one is able to help us determine how

that compares in zLinux land.  Subsequently when an app comes along that

specifies 8G in AIX or Windows people are making the leap to say that we

will need 8G on zLinux...which is ludicrous...it is an apples to oranges

comparison.  Are there any studies, metrics, stats, whatever that anyone

has that could help?  Also, for this project I am referring to a heavy

WebSphere / Java environment.

>David Dean
>Information Systems
>*bcbstauthorized*

Behalf Of Marcy Cortes
>Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:31 PM
>To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
>Subject: Re: Virtual vs. Physical Memory in ZVM
>
>David,
>
>I don't think anything stated below is wrong.
>
>I would question whether you really need those guests to be 6G.  Our WAS

6.1 guests range from 1G-8G, with the majority of them in between 1G and

2G.

>The overcommittment ratio you tolerate depends heavily on the robustness

of your paging subsystem.  It also depends on how idle/not idle they are.

>At one point we had about 100 servers, about 1/2 of them WAS on 24G of

real, overcommitt of maybe 5:1.  That was painful (and amazing that VM ca
page in the 10's of thousands per second).
>But it was test/dev.   We wouldn't do that to production.
>
>At the moment, I'm looking at one test system that is 2.1:1 on 44G with

38 servers up on it. It is paging only a couple of hundred per second on

average and hasn't gone higher than about 2500/sec today.   No one is
complaining.  That one can probably go to 2.5:1 with no issues.

>Marcy
>
>"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If

you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee
,
you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this messag
or any information herein. If you have received this message in error,

please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this
message. Thank you for your cooperation."

>________________________________

Behalf Of Dean, David (I/S)
>Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:47 AM
>To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
>Subject: [IBMVM] Virtual vs. Physical Memory in ZVM
>

>HELP!
>

>Warning -the below is from an IBM rep, the name removed to protect the

innocent(?).  This is a portion of the analysis comparing real (physical)

memory needs for zLinux guests versus AIX.  The 2:1 ratio used below (in

my humble opinion) is extreme overkill.  I need the experts (you) to
comment.

>The main disclaimer is that we have no way to determine whether the
virtual memory requirements (which are used to calculate the real memory)

would be significantly less on System z. In most cases they are. For
example, 6GB is a pretty large Linux guest memory size for a WAS guest

unless they are running super large Application HEAP spaces and / or are

running multiple JVM's in each Linux guest.

>Nonetheless if we use a 2:1 Virtual to Real memory Ratio then we simply

take all the guests add them up divide by 2 for the required real Central

Storage, add in about 500 MB for VM and 2 GB for Expanded Storage.

>150 GB Virtual / 2 = 75 GB Real + 500 MB Real + 2GB Real = 78GB Real

>David Dean
>
>Information Systems
>
>*bcbstauthorized*

>Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee
E-
mail disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm