I did a SHARE presentation once that included comparing Unix & CMS Pi
pelines. I will see if I can find
it.

The primary difference is not that CMS Pipes are two-dimensional, but tha
t CMS Pipes lets you split a
stream, perform different manipulations on the separate sub-pipes, and th
en join the streams and
have the records come out in the original order. (Provided, of course, th
at your manipulations do not
delay the record.)

Unix pipes do not necessary pass a record at a time, and I know of no joi
n stage that will put the
streams back together in the original order. You could, of course, add a
record number to each
record, and then sort on the record number at the end, but that will perf
orm very poorly on large
files.

Alan Ackerman
Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com