I took a slightly different approach to reach a slightly different end,
rather than rely on VMSES/E (and perhaps have to refit locally developed
processes if VMSES/E changes in the future).  Over the years a locally
written "COPY2 EXEC" was enhanced to copy local files to the Y-disk, our
T-disk (local Tools disk), and (way long go) the PROFS administrator's
public 199 disk.  The syntax is very similar to that of COPYFILE.

That COPY2 EXEC was modified to update a new "HEWITT PARTCAT" on the
target disk with info about the file just copied to the disk.    For
example, a few lines from an XEDIT view of that file:
 HEWITT   PARTCAT  Y2  V 83  Trunc=83 Size=2381 Line=0 Col=1 Alt=1
====>
*OutFn.. OutFt... InFn     InFt     CopyDate   CopyTime FileSource...
PIPELINE HELPLIB  PIPELINE HELPLIB  2008-10-08 12:58:44
PPS01:SYSPROG.PIPELINES
QDASD    EXEC     QDASD    EXEC     2009-07-27 09:39:27 M2WALTER 0191

Having our own HEWITT PARTCAT keeps our stuff out of IBM's VMSES PARTCAT
files, making upgrades to new releases easier (in particular, for Y-disk
files).

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates

"Kris Buelens" <kris.buel...@gmail.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
08/19/2009 04:57 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Extension of MAINT 190 (S-DISK)

The not rusty IBM products are installed with VMSES, meaning a VMSES
PARTCAT is maintained on each minidisk that received files, and this since
VM/SP Rel 6.  These PARTCATs have fmode 1, meaning they are invisible on
190 and 19E unless you perform your own ACCESS command (like ACCESS 190
T).
You can obviously read the the PARTCAT files with XEDIT, but VMFCOPY and
VMFERASE are commands  you should explore, as they can perform work based
on the entries in VMSES PARTCAT.
If you invent your own product IDs, you can even catalog your own files
when copied to 19E.  With a new release, VMFCOPY can be used to copy all
files of a given product ID from the old to the new 19E.  That's what I
did to store some customer code on the Y-disk, in a fully documented way.
I wouldn't be me if I didn't create an EXEC to compare the products found
in two VMSES PARTCATs (like old and new 19E), and select products to be
FILELISTed of VMFCOPYed from one to the other.  My SESCOMP is available on
request only.