>>> On 8/27/2009 at 10:26 AM, "Paul, Thomas" <thomas.p...@iso.com> wrote:
-snip-
> 2.  Linux Sizing - All Linux guests are independent - in other words, they
> all have their own Kernel, etc.  The idea is to build an NSS and make it
> like a CMS user.  So, if I accomplish that what would be the size of
> z/Linux guest under z/VM with just z/Linux running.  And, second if I do
> build DCSS for Websphere binary, how much storage would I be able to save?
> Currently, most of them running at 1.2G & 1.5G.

If by "build an NSS" you mean having the kernel in an NSS, that will save you
about 1MB per guest that uses it.  Not a whole lot.

According to Barton Robinson of Velocity Software, you get the biggest real
storage savings by using CMM and xip2fs.  (If I'm remembering wrong, I know
Barton will correct this.)

CMM is the easiest to implement, and doesn't really require any effort to
maintain.  Setting up xip2fs is not terribly easy to set up (I'm working on
getting that changed) and not easy to maintain.  Still, if you're really
constrained, it may be worth the effort.  For some insight into that process,
look at the presentation on it at http://linuxvm.org/Present/

Mark Post